Alberto Moreno started Liverpool’s last friendly before the start of the 2017/18 Premier League season in the left-back role, with James Milner positioned in midfield.
The Reds tried to prise highly rated midfielder Naby Keita away from his club RB Leipzig this summer, with their final bid said to be in the region of £66m. It had been suggested that Klopp was keen on signing an alternative, but he has now revealed that the form of Moreno and the addition of left-back Andrew Robertson means Milner can be a good option for the Reds in midfield.
Asked about any new potential incomings, Klopp said:
“We’ve always said that until August 31 we’ll run through the world with open eyes, that’s clear, but it’s not us alone who decides about these things. It’s all about other clubs. Our situation, I thought today and this pre-season brought us new players, if you want.
“Alberto Moreno is 100 per cent back, which is very nice after a really difficult year. Andrew Robertson shows all the skills he has, of course he still has to adapt to our way of playing but you can already see what a threat he can be offensively.
“That means Millie is free for midfield, so without being in the transfer market we have a new midfield player, which is nice.
19-year-old striker Dominic Solanke scored his third goal of pre-season against Athletic Bilbao and Ryan Kent produced another impressive display. Klopp says he has been very impressed by both and suggested that they could have a part to play in Liverpool’s first-team squad this season.
“Dom Solanke…I think he’s already shown that he’s ready for some adult football.
“Ryan Kent, I’ve known him for one-and-a-half years and last year he developed unbelievably well and this pre-season is completely different to last pre-season, he’s completely showed up now.
“So, without paying too much money or the highest transfer fees we have additions in the squad. That’s good.”